Thursday, May 14, 2009

Rehersals

For the past month and a half we have been holding rehersals on Wednesday and Thursday evenings, from 4-6 or 6-8. Rehearsals at first were tough because of sports, sickness, and and cast list still being worked on. But as we have gotten further along my cast has seem to become more dedicated, and I have learned how to be much better at organizing the rehersal schedule.

Generally speaking, I start rehersals out with warm ups. We play drama games like "pass the clap" to focus, we massage our faces, stretch our necks and backs, and then play games like "die" and "bunny" in order to get into the theatre mood. From there we start running whatever scenes we are doing that day. I generally get through 2 or 3 scenes during one rehersal. I also work around my actors schedules all the time. If they can't make practice at the begining I do other scenes first which they are not in. Or if they have to leave early we do their scenes first.

Probably the most difficult thing during rehersals has blocking the fight scenes and then getting my actors to be able to do those fight scenes. I finally finished the last fight last evening, but I still have a lot of work to do to get my actors to know the fight well.

With only about five rehersals left, things are starting to get a little more stressful. Only a few of the actors are off book (partially because I just finished the final corrections yesterday) and the blocking is far from being memorized. We have no set to practice on yet, and we still need half a dozen props. However, with this being my last week of classes, there is plenty of time to nail these last few things down.

No comments: